* ArcaEX makes its debut.
* EasyScreen signs deal that allows it to become the first independent software vendor to provide an electronic interface to the International Petroleum Exchange.
* Iris Financial Systems plans to launch its Component Services Architecture.
* Standard & Poor's make a range of its market data information products available in Europe via Radianz's RadianzNet financial extranet.
* DataSynapse announces several new hires.
* FTL will provide Shanghai Net Bank with financial data and reports for its daily TV show.
* Henderson Global Investors is implementing Xenomorph for enterprise-wide risk management of derivatives in its investment product range.
* Lipper and Barra team up to jointly develop a mutual fund risk analysis tool for investment professionals.
* The Professional Risk Managers' International Association forms two new regional chapters in Mexico and the Ukraine.
* Barclays Capital announces that Peter Goettler will be head of the firm's Investment Banking Division in the Americas.
* webMethods, Inc. and Javelin Technologies, Inc. announce a strategic.
* The International Securities Association for Institutional Trade Communication is holding its 8th Annual Industry Forum and Vendor.
* CCMA releases a directional analysis by CGE&Y to assist Canadian-securities-industry participants in shortening the securities settlement cycle.
* EMC Corporation announces that Omgeo and Thomson Financial are achieving first-to-market objectives for advancing STP and its central matching solution.
* Rolfe & Nolan announces HSBC has gone live in New York and Chicago with its futures and options-back-office-processing system.
What's Up in Wealth Management Technology
* Fincentric analyzes value of customer relationships.
* A wealth managemen platform ensures enterprise-wide consistency.
* State Street launches an outsourcing business for the wealth management market.
Improving Financial Advisor Productivity
This paper is focused on how brokerage firms can undertake change initiatives to improve the productivity of their financial advisors and grow the firms assets under management without adding staff.
* SWIFT forms an agreement with the NYSE that will enable customers to electronically connect to the Big Board using its SwiftNet FIX messaging system.
* PowerNet builds functionality that provides its end users with electronic access to electronic communications.
* Brut receives approval to launch Brut Europe Limited.
* BONY acquires Jaywalk Incorporated.
* Caplin Data Systems and DataView form partnership to develop an online real-time trading and equity analysis tool.
* HyperFeed provides stock market data to Captivate Network's elevator network.
* Palisade releases version 4.5 of @Risk desktop.
* Ascent Financial Technologies and Banco BBA customize and implement analytics from Financial Engineering Associates.
* SunGard acquires Kronos Software.
* Brown Brothers Harriman announce the launch of a front-end Web interface for Infomediary.
* CMC carries a full line of FIX products that complements any FIX Engine.
* FMC announces that Platinum Asset Management Limited installed FMC's trade-communications network.
* Trema announces the launch of Settlement HUB.
* Omgeo announces the expansion of the Omgeo STP Partners Program with the signing of SimCorp.
Javelin Bought By NYFIX
Javelin, one of the oldest and most prevalent FIX-connectivity providers, which counts over 300 financial institutions as clients, is being acquired by Nyfix, a supplier of electronic-trading systems.
* NQLX names Thomas Ascher its chief executive officer.
* The International Securities Exchange is thinking about listing single-stock futures.
* Caplin Systems and Trading Systems Associates form a partnership to extend
Caplin's real-time streaming data technology onto TIB and Triarch data feeds.
* Sector opens an expanded Data Center for its managed services clients.
* Sabrient Systems launches its newly designed Web site for institutional investment firms, hedge-fund managers and financial advisors.
* The Boards of Allied Irish Banks PLC and Allfirst Financial met to hear the results of an investigation by Eugene Ludwig who was hired to look into $700 million currency trading losses by Allfirst trader John Rusnak.
* SunGard Trading and Risk appoints Michael Clarke senior vice president of its SunGard Collateral operating unit.
* Dr. Constantine Thanassoulas joins the Professional Risk Managers International Association's Blue Ribbon Advisory Panel.
* Barclays Capital reaffirms plans to expand its North American headquarters within Manhattan.
* Spectrum EBP, LLC and Financial Fusion Inc. announce a strategic alliance in which Financial Fusion will be certified to the Spectrum network.
* Franklin Templeton Investments' Chief Web Officer Jennifer Bolt was named
"E-Commerce Executive of the Year."
* IBM and SunGard announce a strategic alliance that will assist customers in deploying STP solutions that support the effort to speed the settlement of financial transactions.
* The DTCC reports $819 million in revenue for 2001 from fees charged by its subsidiaries.
* CMG chooses to use HelioGraph's ISOConverter product to provide ISO 15022 migration solutions to its German clients.
* Nyfix acquires a 40 percent ownership interest in Madrid.
* Cinergy rolls out Triple Point Technology's Power XL trading system in support of its senior management, traders and risk-management staff.
* IPC opens new sales and technical support offices in Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney.
* Asset Control launches its ACDEX outsourced.
* OppenheimerFunds and the Steering Committee of RIXML.org continue efforts to further the acceptance of RIXML as the industry.
* Credit Lyonnais and WestLB Panmure offer their proprietary research over the researchsummary.com financial portal.
* Wall Street Access offers Risk Analyzer risk analysis tools to its customers.
* Oliver, Wyman & Company forms a relationship with OpRisk Analytics to provide clients with operational risk consulting, data and software.
* Self Trade selects Financial Fusion Server as the technology platform for its trading system.
* RIXML.org announces its efforts to facilitate investment-research.
* FMC announces the launch of FMCSuite.
* Trema announces that IKB selects Finance KIT version 5.1 to automate its back office.
* BONY announces that DoCoMo selects the Bank as depositary for its listed ADR program.
* Northern Trust is appointed global custodian by the London Borough of Haringey Pension Fund.
Disaster Recovery & Business-Continuity Planning conference last week was truly a great success. Over 400 focused disaster-recovery experts gathered, networked and listened to real-life experiences from other industry firms.
A Conversation with Aron Miodownik
Dealing with a wireless shakeout and slow customer takeup, Merrill Lynch's Aron Miodownik manages relationships with a global portfolio of vendors, carriers, devices and networks.
Thomas Weisel Partners LLC needs a solution that would allow the firm to track instant messaging.
Electronic FX: Reality or Just a Smoke Screen?
Citing reasons such as faster executions and reduced error rates, buy-side institutions and corporations are increasingly adopting electronic foreign exchange trading systems. But multi-bank FX portals like Currenex, Atriax, FXall and FX Connect still must break through some technological and psychological barriers before they can intitiate a mass movement awar from telephone-based FX trading.
DTCC HAS A VISION OF THE FUTURE: A World Without Reclaims
John Kiechle, DTCC director of strategy implementation, lays out the depository's plans to help the industry reach T+1. However, the long-term goal of eliminating reclaims is a touchy subject with some industry insiders who fear such a model would increase their level of risk.