Wall Street & Technology is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Trading Technology

01:57 PM
Connect Directly

EBS Launches Data Mine

EBS, a provider of transactional spot FX market data, launched EBS Data Mine, certified data of all currencies traded on EBS Spot since January 1997.

The data previously was available on an ad hoc basis to some clients, such as central banks, but now is available on a wide-scale basis, according to James O'Hagan, EBS market data product manager. "The demand for a product like this has increased following the launch last summer of AI, an interface for model trading aimed at hedge funds," he says.

The data includes currency identifiers and time stamps; one-second time slices of EBS Best Regular, which records the highest bid and lowest offer available in the market for a currency pair on the EBS Spot system; and one-second time slices of the paid/given rate, which is the lowest and highest rates dealt within the time slice. "Anyone doing probability or forecasting or price movements or any other type of modeling would use this," O'Hagan says, as it helps them with their back testing.

O'Hagan explains that EBS Data Mine uses actual transactional data. "There are other data sellers of historical data, but that is pulled together from various sources, and it's a difference between indicative data verses transactional," he contends. According to O'Hagan, the majority (75 percent) of interested clients have been banks and the other 25 percent of interest has come from the professional trading community and hedge funds.

Register for Wall Street & Technology Newsletters
Exclusive: Inside the GETCO Execution Services Trading Floor
Exclusive: Inside the GETCO Execution Services Trading Floor
Advanced Trading takes you on an exclusive tour of the New York trading floor of GETCO Execution Services, the solutions arm of GETCO.